Sunday, April 10, 2011

What a day!

Nothing makes you feel more guilty about the lack of posts for second child syndrome like the last 24 hours.

Benjamin, Abby, and I went to Enchanted Forest yesterday with B's best friend Wyatt and his mother and grandmother. On the way, we drove past a car accident that had just happened and called 911. Then we headed up to Salem. We had a pretty good day together. left around 3, we stayed another hour and I must say it was much more enjoyable just because B finally slowed down and spent some time with me and I wasn't rushing around trying to keep B from being too rough with Wyatt. The boys get SO wild. Abby enjoyed getting out of her stroller quite a bit. She is on the fine line between needing it and not, but she is still so heavy, so it is nice to have. Plus it carries the diaper bag and extra pairs of clothes for everyone in case B did want to go on the log ride like he did last year. He didn't. He was pretty scared last time.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention prices for my fellow WV mommies - Prices have gone up since last year. I thought tickets were like $0.60 last year but I could be wrong. They are now $0.90/each. That means the roller coaster costs $4.60 for one ride. I decided to get the kids the ride bracelets in addition to the $10 each admission. B may have broke even on his ($25), but Abby ($19) is a little less than 36" so could only go on two rides alone. She wasn't allowed on the froggy hopper at all, which I think would have been her favorite, and I had to ride the train with her which means I had to pony up 3 tickets ($2.70) to accompany her each time. She was allowed by herself on the windup bumper boats so she spent a lot of time on those, spinning in circles. She was also allowed on the kid ferris wheel but didn't seem to enjoy that as much. For the three of us, we ended up paying about $80, not including food! An expensive day out. I do think Enchanted Forest is a great experience, but my vision of going there several times in the summer is quickly giving way to going one more time this summer.

Abby napped on the short drive home (about 35 minutes) so she was pretty pooped when we got home, but she ate a normal dinner and the three of us were in bed together at 9pm. At 2:31am, she made a horrible squeal and flipped over and started having a seizure. Her eyes were wide open and looking up and the the left and her arm was flexed and twitching while her hand was opening and closing. She was completely unresponsive. I got Paul and in our haze decided to drive her to the ER, quickly changing our minds and calling 911. The operator was great and reminded me of all the things I did wrong in SIM when I had SIM baby having a seizure. She reminded me to strip her down and cool her off. She was HOT!! The paramedics arrived and took her rectal temp of 103.3F and gave Tylenol and once she stopped seizing (maybe 5-7 min total) I carried her to the ambulance and we headed to the hospital. Abby was somnolent - it took me back to Riley's early puppy days when she had seizures. There they did blood work and chest x-ray and it all boils down to a febrile seizure probably brought on by a sudden virus. But now that she had one seizure, she is more likely to have another if she gets a high fever so we need to keep her on Tylenol and Motrin for 48 hours round the clock and then can stop if her fever is gone. We also need to treat any future fever immediately, even if it is low. Abby also has an ear infection and possibly an upper respiratory infection but "those x-rays are so hard to read on babies". We're back on amoxicillin (she had hard a double ear infection 3 months or so ago).

So, if I hadn't been co-sleeping with her, I think I would have dismissed her squeal as what she just does sometimes when she changes position. We don't have a video monitor, so I don't know that I would have even looked in on her if she didn't make more noises (which she didn't). Would we just have wondered why she was lethargic in the morning or slept in later? Would we have even known? Did co-sleeping save her or make her warmer in the first place?

Anyway, we're doing okay this morning. We got the boy back to bed and we all slept until 10. I will post pictures soon.

1 comment:

kelly said...

What an ordeal. I'm glad she's okay. That must have been really tramatic for you and Paul. I hope she'll have a chance to recouperate this week and get back to her healthy, cheerful self.