We are still alive! It feels like it has been forever since I have posted. I have been holding off because I have kind of been a picture Grinch lately and just haven't been getting my camera out. Even during our fabulous long weekend!
MLK weekend, the Man and I made a trip out to Walla Walla (6 straight hours of driving, plus stops!) to visit Anne and Family. (Anne is a former colleague and friend who used to work at my office and moved to a fabulous job back in her home town. She has her husband Will, 3.5 year old daughter, Lydia, and 18 mo old Charlotte.) The Man slept the whole way there! I got him up around 7 on Friday morning, hoping that he would sleep for a few ours. We left at 8 and stopped in Hood River (slightly less than halfway) for gas and lunch. He woke up at the gas station. We took our time and had a nice meal before continuing on. When we got back on the road, he was grumpy for 20 minutes before falling back asleep and sleeping the rest of the way!
Walla Walla really is a town about to boom. It has that Bend feel. The drive is lovely, especially once you get off of I-84. Once we got there and got settled in, we had a good time watching the kids get to know each other again. It was a little overwhelming at first for them to have such exciting visitors but I was glad the plan was to stay three night as by the end, everyone was getting along great and it was somewhat of a normal life. We all spent a good portion of time in the car exploring Walla Walla and the great 120+ wineries that are in the area. We had all the kids and adults in Anne's minivan and it worked out pretty well... until some of the older kids in the far back seat wants a cracker. But that leads to fun and the cracker Olympics! (Sippy cups were another story, however, as you just can't launch those safely.)
Two nights Anne and I played Scrabble, with Will joining us the second night. Scrabble is more fun with alcohol! I only played once before in my life, but Anne's family lives by the game. I guess when you have a teacher, a lawyer, and a professional writer in the family, it is a game that works for all! :o)
The Man slept almost the whole way home too. We didn't leave until like 11 because they had like 3-4 inches of snow. However, once we cleared the city limits, there was nothing there! We so could have left earlier! We stopped for lunch in The Dalles, ran a few errands on he way home, getting home around 7. The Man was great!
Thanks Van Kleys for a fabulous weekend. I don't think I have ever had such a relaxing weekend traveling!
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so glad Benjamin was good for you, because I know that traveling alone with a baby is not easy. For some reason I have found myself flying alone across the country with Sofia, to Mexico, and last summer we went up to Seattle by ourselves for a friends wedding. I am worried that Gabe won't be such a good traveler, because he won't be as used to it as Sofia. That is so great that you went out of your way to visit friends. Even though it seems overwhelming, it is always worth it. Oh, and by the way, I obviously new in my heart that Edwards didn't have a chance of winning, but I thought that I would put him up since I like him best. I am thinking that he will be the Vice President candidate again.
Post a Comment