Thursday, May 24, 2007

10 Weeks Old

I just can’t believe how cool The Man is getting! We are having so much fun with him. I am starting to get really sad about going back to work in a week and a half tho. I'll be working 32 hours/week and childcare is going to be very interesting. Until fall, our plan is to have Paul home with him on Mondays, at Kindercare Tuesdays and Thursdays, and with our neighbor Stacey on Fridays. I'll be home with him on Wednesdays. (In the fall, he will be at Kindercare four days a week as I have to return to work full-time.) Kindercare has been really sketchy about getting this started tho. The registration process would make me run away and take my business elsewhere because their "customer service" is CRAPPY. They constantly tell you they will be in touch but they won't. If they didn't have the most recommended (not to mention cheapest) center day-care around, I wouldn't even try it. Once you are in, it is supposed to be great though. We chose a center versus an in-home provider so we wouldn't have to worry about the provider going on vacation or having sick days. At least until I have some leave stored up again, staying home for me really isn't an option. And Paul burned most of his too so if we want a vacation between now and Jan 1, we have to be frugal with our time! Not to mention our money - childcare is EXPENSIVE!!!

Anyway, on to more interesting matters....

Matty came over and spent some time on our porch in the breeze with us. Teddy (aka Oil Slick) couldn't resist taking our chairs as soon as we stood up. He is getting REALLY greasy. I wonder who's car he is rubbing on!
Benjamin loves the sheepskin one of our play-daters has, so I bought him an Ikea one off of e-bay. He loves it! Even if it may not look like it in this picture! :o) His head control is still a little weak, but I swear it is getting stronger by the minute! The instructions on the sheepskin say dry-clean only, but I am so cheap and know I wouldn't be able to do that with all the spit up and other liquids that will be hitting this thing so I went ahead and washed it in the washer on gentle cycle. It had such a strong chemically smell! I had to do something. It did not hurt it at all, except the backing was all paper so that came off in the wool (fake wool?) and I am still picking it out. But it is just as soft as ever. It did take like 2 days to hang dry tho! We are planning on using it to get lots of girlfriend ammo and take lots of naked pictures of him on it. Gotta love baby butts! Poor kid!
On Thursday, Benjamin and I went to an infant massage class. A licensed masseuse taught us a few methods of massage that would help with bonding, tummy troubles, and flexibility with our babes. There were about 7 moms (and one dad!) and their tykes in the class. Benjamin enjoyed it and only peed on me once! You take a risk every time that diaper is off! The dad took some pictures of us. What a gentleman!
The Riley Girl is still not thrilled to have The Man around, but she tolerates him more and more. She even looks concerned when he really wails and has come to lick his feet. When we were at a softball game, there was a little hyper Boston terrier (small dog) that she was scared of. But when that dog tried jumping up on me with Benjamin in my lap, she suddenly found her bravery and told that dog to get away from us. It was probably just me she was protecting, but I would like to think it was him too....

On Saturday, Kelly came up for a nice visit. (It really is my turn to go down there. I will do it Kelly! You have less than two weeks to hold me to it!) We went on an hour and a half walk around the park near our house and then headed out to eat. When we got home, we decided to tackle the stepping stone that the ladies from my Ashland baby shower gave me. Kelly had given me the cement kit and each gust brought a trinket to include in the stone. Unfortunately, with Benjamin's large hands and feet, we couldn't fit everything, but we tried to pick as many as we could. I added a little too much water (since Kelly was busy napping with Benjamin and unable to help me decide what the directions describe at brownie batter and I apparently haven't made brownies in ages...) so it took a little longer than planned and I almost made her late for her date. :o) But I think the stone turned out really well, although Benjamin's hands are still hard to straighten, so those look rather alien. He ended up in a bath robe because our landlord decided he needed to fix our neighbors water pipe right then and so we were working with cement in our living room with no washing water available! Luckily we got enough together to rinse his hands and feet!Later on it was bath time. The man sure likes to kick and splash around. We also use this time to do some of our massage techniques with soap. Massage oil just seems too messy! Hopefully he will adore the water like I do. I can't wait to start waterbabies with him. I hope we can get him into the class starting in late June.
More foolin' around on the sheepskin. It puts him in the best mood!
The Man has the greatest hair. He has a swirl at the top/back of his head, then a blank line and then a great dark and long mullet. A mullet has never looked good before, but it is CUTE on this man!On a techy note... I hope to get another video posted soon. The software we have (Studio 9) seems to interfere with our internet though so we seem to be able to get one or the other. And uninstalling it doesn't even work. We have to do a system restore to get the internet back. I've got the cable guy working on a solution.... :o) (For those of you who don't know, Paul works for Comcast. He loves to joke that Benjamin looks like the cable guy.)

No comments: