Thursday, March 15, 2007

Day 1: In the hospital

After Benjamin was born, I was wheeled into the tiniest room ever. I asked if I could meet my son and because I had a c-section, there was "no protocol for that". Apparently most women with c-sections don't insist on going down to meet their baby in the NICU right away. After 3 hours of fighting with the nurses, I was finally permitted to move to a wheelchair and go and meet my new love. It was hard to see him attached to so many wires and in an oxygen breathing tent. What was harder was to have them blame me for him being there at all. Since my water broke Tuesday night and we didn't go in for the induction until Thursday morning, they blamed me for him being in the NICU at all. I still insist that it wasn't us. He wasn't exposed to meconium until I started vomiting from the pitocin, but no one listens to me.

We get to hold him and I attempt to nurse him for the first time. Amazing!

Kelly (BF), Cortni (sister), Dad, Mom, Pete (mom's partner), Carol (dad's partner), and Maile all came to visit us in the hospital. Sorry, but we didn't get pics of everyone! And some of the ones we have, you wouldn't want us to post (Cortni - why do we always catch you at the most wonderful moments?!).




No comments: